The 2014 NBA draft is a major step in getting the Bucks a new Arena.
Yes the title is true! I will repeat it for emphasis; actually I will re-word the statement. The Milwaukee Bucks cannot afford to botch this draft. The new owners Marc Lasry and Wes Edens have a huge task ahead of them, the main question being who is going to run the draft process? As of right now it appears to be John Hammond and crew. My knee jerk reaction to that is “are you kidding me”? John Hammond with all due respect has been mediocre at best. For reference, since I am such a nice guy I am going list for you the draft picks made under John Hammond as GM of the franchise.
- 2008 - Joe Alexander 8th pick (out of the league)
- 2008 - Luc Mbah a Moute 37th pick (traded to Sacramento, now with Minnesota)
- 2009 - Brandon Jennings 10th pick (traded to Detroit)
- 2009 - Jodie Meeks 41st pick (traded to Philadelphia, currently with Los Angeles)
- 2010 - Larry Sanders 15th pick ( Still with the team)
- 2010 - Darington Hobson 37th pick (WHO????)
- 2010 - Tiny Gallon 47th pick (WHO????)
- 2011 - Jimmer Fredette 10th pick (traded to Sacramento, now with Chicago)
- 2011 - Tobias Harris traded to the Bucks (traded to Orlando)
- 2011 - Jon Leuer 40th pick (traded to Houston)
*Technically I could stop here as my point has been made, but I feel the need to keep on.
- 2012 - John Henson 14th pick (still with the team)
- 2012 - Doron Lamb 42nd pick (traded to Orlando)
- 2013 - Giannis Antetokounmpo , whew that was rough! 15th pick (still with team)
- 2013 - Ricky Ledo 43rd pick (traded to Dallas)
As you can read for yourself most of Hammond’s picks are no longer with the team. In order for the Bucks to improve and ultimately convince the areas tax-payers that they deserve a new arena, the Bucks must improve how they draft and scout players. It starts with THIS draft.
The other key question is who should the Bucks draft? Logic in my opinion would suggest that Bucks draft the player who is the most NBA ready which is Jabari Parker, since you can pretty much guarantee that the Cleveland Cavaliers are going to something stupid with the first pick. However the franchise wants an arena, therefore the player they draft needs to generate revenue, they need butts in seats!!! They need a player who has the potential to be a box office draw. Since Johnny Manziel isn’t in the association, the closest player to that is Andrew Wiggins. Wiggins an absolutely freakish athlete is at the very least a guy who would generate some buzz in a town that is greatly starved for something to be excited about. I envision multiple slam dunk contest appearances for at least the next few seasons, and more than a few appearances on Sportscenter turning Roy Hibbert and Joakim Noah into someone’s poster. Have I sold you yet? No, ok Wiggins is a 6’8 (6’11 wingspan) shooting guard who can also play the three position, with Lebron, PG, Melo and D.Wade running loose on the perimeter you need an athletic wing who can score and defend on your roster Wiggins fills both those needs. Again I stress if you’re looking for most NBA ready at moment draft Jabari Parker who has a complete skill set on the offensive end, but lacks the WOW factor. The Bucks need a new stadium and they may want us to pay for it, in order to do that they must generate interest, they must draft Andrew Wiggins.